When it comes to the electrical needs of a home, unless you’re planning an addition or need to upgrade or renovate a room or the home, the times are few that an electrician is actually a necessity. That’s because most “electrical” needs are simply replacing light bulbs or plugging/unplugging something from the wall. However, there are times when an electrician in Durham NC that residents can trust is more than a need, it is a necessity. That is when you call House Doctors Durham.
Why An Electrician?
When it comes to working with electricity, not only is it possible to suffer mild shocks, it is actually possible you can be killed if you don’t know exactly what you’re doing. Also, a miss-wired switch, socket, appliance or outlet can actually cause a fire which could, if not contained, burn down the home. Unless you understand how electricity works and how to take care of wiring your own projects, it is best to leave the work for a professional.
Granted, when it comes to installing a ceiling fan, replacing a wall switch or other minor repair, ensuring you’ve killed the power to the room while you make the repair or replacement as you follow the instructions is usually sufficient. However, if you aren’t comfortable doing repairs like that, having an electrician friends and family suggests will be best. Also, there are some installations you’ll definitely want a professional technician to take care of.
Jobs Not For Homeowners
Here are a few examples of installs and repairs you’ll definitely want to have a professional handle:
- Stove, Dryer and other high voltage applications – If you get “bit” by 110 volts (common voltage for lamps, overhead lights, ceiling fans, wall outlets, etc.), you’ll feel a nasty “buzz” in your arm or hand. While this is truly annoying, when it comes to 220 volts (common for stoves, dryers and other heavy duty appliances), not only can you get “kicked” across the room, but you could suffer second and third degree burns or even be killed. Also, if a 220v circuit is mis-wired, a fire could definitely result or even damage to the appliance. Definitely a job for the professionals.
- Rewiring rooms – While building additions, renovating a home or building a new home, you’ll want professional electricians to do the work. That’s because they can keep the breaker box “balanced”, can do the job a lot faster since they have the right tools and the expertise and a lot less expensively as well.
Another thing to keep in mind is the fact that an inspectors recognize will have their work certified quickly and without having to make corrections to their work. For additions and renovations, certification by an inspector is required.
How to Plan Ahead Of Hurricane Season and Falling Trees with a Tree Service company in Raleigh NC.
The Atlantic hurricane spell comes in between the months of June and November. During this time, tropical cyclones develop in the northern Atlantic Ocean region. Numerous damages are often expected to happen to trees within your landscape. The better part of it is that with Tree Service, all hope is not lost. There are some precaution measures that you can put in place to ensure your safety, that of your family, trees and anything else within your property. Read More
The best plans that you can put in place during this time include
- Inspecting the tree trucks in your home to see if they are decayed. Mushroom growth on a tree truck indicates decay. This decaying weakens the tree.
- A tree that is leaning on another one gives a sign of weakens. The nature of the soil at the base of the tree can also show if the root system of your tree is in good shape.
- Any dead or partly attached branches might cause injuries or extensive damages if the storm brings them down. See to it that they are removed as early as now.
- A tight V-shape of the folks is a sign of pending danger.
- Cut off the tree branches which are in contact or close to power lines. In the event of a storm, these trees will become energized if they chance to get into contact with these wires.
- Hollow trees and limbs, gaping wounds and peeling barks should also raise concerns.
- Trees which are not strong enough or have cracked stems should be cut.
If you note any of these signs, the first step that you should take is contacting a Tree Service Company for inspection and advice on what you need to do. Neglecting some of these signs might be the beginning of troubles; some of which might not be reversed. There are many examples of what uncared trees have done when a storm hits a place. Being on the safe side is the best security you can give to your family and property.
For you to be certain of your safety, you must get ready before the storm strikes your area. Do not wait until the last minute. The last minute rush will most likely force you to make hasty decisions. It is at this time that you end up getting the services of tree care companies which will take advantage of the desperate situation and make dishonest money by giving you shoddy services. To avert this, gather some information about genuine tree care companies that are around your place.
Anyone who owns their own home appreciates that there is always something needing attention. Whether it’s the faucet, or lamp, or maybe an upgrade the tile on the back splash, it’s always something. So now that your to-do list is ready and you chose a handyman to do the work, get the most of your project by planning ahead. Our experts here at Total handyman Acworth offer this checklist.
Commit to Your Project
The last thing your contractor wants to hear is you flip-flopping or wavering about any final decisions. Once you decide on the details for your project hold your guns about it. Before you make any final decisions however, consider alternatives for your project. Whether it’s the material, color, or dimensions make sure you have weighed your options. So do your research, make a decision and then sleep on it or get a second opinion to make sure you are happy with your selection.
Prep the Work-Area
Make sure clutter, furniture, and anything else that may be in the way is out of the way, otherwise your contractor will be spending time on tasks other than what is on your to-do list. Also make sure the area is conducive to work. It should be clean and quiet.
Be Clear and Thorough
Clearly describe your expectations to your handyman so there is no communication. leave a printed list for reference as well. Just like your contractor likes to measure twice and cut once, you want to make sure you are understood about what you are agreeing on.
Know What Your Budget is
Become comfortable with your budget and keep in mind how happy you will be after your projects are complete. Also, leave room in your budget for any surprises or potential upgrades so that you avoid any sticker shock or buyers’ remorse.
Keep it Friendly
it always help to be attentive to your contractor. Let them know there is cold water and coffee available. You may choose to spring for lunch or at least offer a place for them to sit and eat their own lunch. Finally leave a radio for them and let them know there is cold beer, but they have to finish first.